Thursday, May 24, 2012

Human City

Creator, writer, and illustrator: Gavin Smith
Pages 15-22 writer: Orion Zangara


I believe it was a random trip to my local comic emporium when there was a happening, well, not so much of a happening, more like Gavin Smith with a table set up selling copies of his brain-child Human City. After looking through his sketchbook and some friendly banter, I learned that he was from “Clown Town” also……small world. I eagerly handed over the four bucks for a signed copy. I would gladly hand over four bucks for an unsigned copy of issue two…right now. I’m a believer.
The story is about Mitch Williams and a baby. Mitch, once a member of E.L.E.M.E.N.T. (emergency law enforcement meta-enemy neutralization team) is the last remaining super hero. He has inherited the baby who happens to be mankind’s last hope for survival. Mitch’s mission is to get said baby from NYC to LA.
Oh yeah, I guess I forgot to mention that a real bastard, Dr. Neil Stalker, had unleashed his “mutant virus” on the world. Yeah afraid so, everyone’s been turned into blood thirsty deformed mutants. I’m not talking about X-Men mutants. I’m talking about grossly deformed lump headed mutants. Picture that freaky hunch back from 300 crossed with Sloth from The Goonies and add a dash of elongated fingers, pusy cancerous growths, and if you’re lucky, a tentacle tongue straight out of Species……follow?
There could actually not be any story or words for that matter and I’d still love this book. The artwork is freaking awesome. The details are mind-blowing. Every time I look at a page, I am finding things I missed before. Orion Zangara’s pin-up is worth the four bucks if nothing else. Remember, it’s a keeper. You heard it here first.

By Cody "Madman" Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment