Wednesday, July 4, 2012

REVIEW: The Hypernaturals #1

Writers: Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning
Art: Brad Walker and Andres Guinaldo
Colors: Stephen Downer
Letters: Ed Dukeshire


I have pretty much reviewed most or all of the books on my pull list, so I was searching the shelves of my local “funny book” store. My epic search was anything but relaxed and methodical as I only had about ten minutes before they turned off the life support systems and gravity regulators and/or closed. Now, I am not sure about you, but I am not the kind of guy who can just jump into a title halfway through its run. I am a #1 to done kind of fella. Needless to say, the choices of new #1’s were slim. The fact that Dan Abnett’s name was attached to the Hypernaturals is the only reason I chose it over the others. Was it a good decision? Well, let’s just see about that.
I have to say, Abnett throws you right into the action. The Hypernaturals: Bewilder, Kobalt Blue, Thinkwell, Clone 45, and Shard are locked in battle with Sublime and his army of evil robots. I have to say, the Hypernaturals seem like the same old super team. You’ve got Bewilder who has the super-speed, Shard with her micro sharp blade form cutting edge, Clone 45 bringing the super-strength, Kobalt Blue with the energy shields, and then we have Thinkwell. Thinkwell gets my nod as the most original and interesting fellow. He has the super brains as well as this ink-like substance that pours out of his fingertips, with which he does his crazy equations with.
Fast forward a few years and this team has ended their tour of duty (5 year terms). The team’s centennial year Iteration team had just been chosen and sent on their first mission. It comes as a great shock (maybe not to the reader, but to the team’s handlers) when they disappear on their first mission. So guess who had been tapped to save the day? Yep, the old guys.
All in all, I am not sure about my feelings towards this title. It is too predictable, kind of confusing, and muddled. It feels like a template honestly. I realize it is only the first issue, but I don’t think it planted any deep rooted passion in me to bother spending my cash on the second issue. I did enjoy the random ads for Hypernatural endorsed products, and that’s about all. Well, that and Thinkwell. Meh, save your four bucks and go check out a wax museum or the antique fan museum in Indianapolis. Yeah, it’s real….and it blows…..Ha I made a funny.

Madman

1 comment: