Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Stan Lee’s Mighty 7

Concept: Stan Lee
Script: Tony Blake, Paul Jackson with Stan Lee
Pencils: Alex Saviuk
Inks: Bob Smith


The first time that I heard about this comic I knew I had to check it out. With the name Stan Lee attached I can’t see how anyone could resist the urge to at least take a look. Stan has accomplished more then most in comics. He has fathered some of the most iconic and beloved heroes of all time. Including my all time favorite Spider-Man. I find myself wondering just how empty the world of the super hero would be without the hand of Stan Lee. One would have to think the cupboards would be pretty bare. Not only would you lose most of the Marvel Universe, but also the characters that other dream weavers came up with by way of Stan’s influence and blue prints. I believe it’s safe to say that comicdom as we know it wouldn’t have made it this far. His birthday should be a national holiday and his mug should be on Mt. Rushmore.

The Mighty 7 is the newest in a long, long line of creations by Stan. He pulled in some veteran TV writers to work up the script with him (Blake and Jackson wrote for the TV series Lois and Clark). He also recruited one of my favorite Spidey artists, Alex Saviuk. What it must do to a man’s ego to get a call from Stan himself asking you to help him create his newest brain child.

The Mighty 7 starts out introducing Blastok (as his name suggests he shoots red lasers beams out of his hands). Blastok is on some “Punisher” like mission to “retire” a crooked judge. Just let me say there are a few things about Blastok that annoy the hell out of me.
The first is the name. The Second is that he shoots red laser beams while wearing read glasses…sound familiar? The third is his resemblance in both physical and psychological manifestations.

Anyway, Blastok is now a vigilantly hunted by the Sky Marshals, a group of heroes policing the super powered. After a brief battle they capture Cyclops (umm I meant Blastok) and throw him in a cell. The Marshals in all their infinite wisdom put him in a cell with four other captured “vigilantes.” Let’s see, there is Telepan whom is telekinetic, Faidout who shrinks, Mercuria who runs fast, and last but not least Ovalax (who happens to be my favorite so far). Ovalax is a fat guy whose super power is to (drum roll)….inflate even more into a perfect sphere and you guessed it roll over stuff. I know right. I’m sad to say Ovalax may just be my favorite part of this whole issue. What can I say fat guys steamrolling around entertain me.

The prisoners escape and in the ensuing battle with the two Marshals (Asoara, who has wings like Hawkman and Vallor Conan with a hint of Thor). The battle sends the spaceship out of control and they plummet to Earth.

Enter Doctor Zorbo. The Dr. has created a machine to eliminate earthquakes. In a demonstration to the government, his machine fails. Zorb gets pissed and vows to get even…setting up the villain perhaps. So with the two Sky Marshals and the five bodies that makes 7. I guess we have our super team.

That’s my biggest problem with this book. It is way too predictable. The characters all have lame recycled names, powers, and backgrounds. I just can’t take this as a serious series. If you don’t read it there will be no lasting consequences. Maybe that’s what Stan meant to do. He doesn’t have to prove anything to anybody anymore. I’ve come to believe the Mighty 7 is just Stan cutting loose, like he’s just taking one last trip around the block. It could be that he’s trying to appeal to the newest generations of comic book fans…or maybe he’s just saying hello to his long time reader base. Either way it’s only going to be a short run and I can say I wasn’t entertained. Why not? Just don’t take it too seriously true believers.

By: Cody "Madman" Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment