Sunday, February 12, 2012

House Call of Doom

Murky World
By: Richard Corben


I read this and immediately had to read it two more times just to make sure; I still didn’t understand what I just read. I read it again and it almost made sense. Let me just throw out the brief story line. Man is looking for his horse. Man finds deadings (zombies). A giant bald dark skinned woman saves Man from zombies. Woman tells Man Sorgof, the necromancer stole his horse- who also happens to have said tribal woman’s even bigger twin sister held under some magical charm spell. Man saves the twin, kills the necromancer. The twins steal the old guy’s horse and leave him in a treasure filled cave. Then it happens. I turn the page. I find in great amazement there, coming back to her lair, is a colossal black female Cyclops who happens to be a taxi driver of sorts. She soon bites this poor bastards head clean off. The hero says it best himself, “holy crap.” The hero comes out from hiding and kicks the Cyclops in the ass sending the one eyed giant off a cliff. Enter more zombies and……what the hell did I just buy? Why was this comic book written? Why is it filled with black women who get larger the further you read? There are a few references to not being able to trust women…..could Corban have some women hating complex? I just see no point. That’s been happening a lot lately. A decent cover and some clever gimmick and here I am. Even for a “one-shot” this book lacked no real focus and seemed to be banking more on shock value then true viable content.
There were a few bright spots…..the art and the great dialogue helped to save this book from being a epic fail. It made the crazy story line seem more bearable. After reading it a couple times, it truly was. Something I’m glad I read but something I would never buy again…..unless it had a cool cover….Ha!


The Incredible Hulk #5
Writer: Jason Aaron
Penciler: Whilee Portacio


Lately I’ve been picking up these newer “hero” books and it seems more times than not, by the time I finish I’m so depressed and disappointed that it’s just the same stories with new costumes or just too watered down. The plots become plots within the plot branching off into multiple titles and costing tons of money just to follow one book’s story. I’m so happy this one…this jewel is none of that. Only pure gamma rage powered exciting things going on over here.
Five issues in and the art by this team is blowing my mind.
In this issue what the first four books were building to Banner vs. Hulk. In a mind blowing revelation we learn the true identity of who separated “the man” from “the beast”……spoiler alert……none other than Dr. Doom himself. This is one of the few comics that if I didn’t buy it I couldn’t live with myself. Not in this worn out and beat down age of heroes everyone’s selling to us now. Read Hawken, until the new issue then read the Incredible Hulk and Scarlet Spider….because I don’t care what he says. It’s good and I know things.

By: Cody Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment