Saturday, March 2, 2013

REVIEW: Justice League of America #1

Writer: Geoff Johns
Artist: David Finch
Colorist: Sonis Oback
Letterer: Rob Leigh
Review: Cody "Madman" Miller


I can’t remember the last time I actually bought a Superman book. If I had to take a guess, I’d say it was around “Funeral for a Friend” or “Reign of Superman.” When was that early to mid 90’s? I know for a fact this was the first JLA book I had ever bought.

So why did I buy I it? Simple……..Geoff Johns.

No…..I am in fact not a follower of Johns. Oddly enough, I’m not sure I could name five books Johns has written that I have read. I’ve heard good things about his work from friends who read his Lantern titles and love them, but, again, I am not a Green Lantern fan at all. Never will be. I don’t care what color. I’ll pass.

Anyways, I’d heard Geoff had called it quits on Green Lantern. Apparently this is a huge event. Something worth raising at least one eyebrow at? I have no clue. I feel as ill equipped as Jeph Loeb at a 3rd grade talent show. As if I’m standing in the middle of a highway naked, covered in cottage cheese, and holding a sign that says “free curds.” Yeah, clueless. Damn you Loeb!

So yeah, maybe I just had Geoff Johns on the brain or maybe it was malice towards Marvel or maybe, just maybe, I was drunk last Wednesday wandering the shelves of my LCS.

Whatever form of divine intervention caused me to buy this issue, I’m glad it did because JLA #! was pretty damn alright. To be honest, I had low expectations for a favorable ending to this odd happening. Was I entertained? Yes, yes I was. Johns can write. Yes, yes he can. I’ve experienced it firsthand now. My only real complaint with the book is the implied death of Green Arrow. I am an Ollie Queen fan.

The JLA was created to police the Justice League, which still just makes no sense at all to me. WRDJ and I had a nice little fan boy session on the HCB message feed about fifteen minutes after I read it. Of course that’s all classified and way above your pay grade but we talked about the good and evils of Superman. I actually learned some things about the DCU that have actually peaked my curiosity in a few DC titles that I’ve decided to buy at least a few issue of….just to satisfy my newly acquired morbid curiosity with a few characters and such.
I realize I’m kind of rambling about nothing here, but hell, what can I say. I’m way out of my element here. I’m sure most, if not all, of the people reading this probably know more about these characters than I do. So, I’ll give you the short version and we can both go about our business.

The book was above average. The story is and hopefully will continue to be something to look forward to each issue. As far as the art goes, it’s decent as well…..from what I can remember.

I’ve not a clue why, but I started reading all the “extras” on the last page where I learned Geoff Johns is actually chief creative officer at DC comics. Wow, I had no idea. Then I started thinking about how much this Before Watchman sucks ass and wondered how a good writer like Johns could let this train wreck actually get printed. So, I wikied Mr. Johns. The first sentence I read mentions that Johns shares a writing studio with none other than Jeph Loeb….suddenly it became clear. Damn you Jeph Loeb !! Before Watchman……It’s all your damn fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment