Sunday, April 22, 2012

Excerpts from: The Free Stage

This is mostly a site of reviews, but in this particular instance I felt that these original poems should be posted this week instead of our original interview. I spent the past weekend reading these, and wanted to share a few of my favorites. The poet is The Hammond Comics Blog's own feature writer Cody Miller. I did not ask his permission to put these up, so hopefully he is still writing for the site after today. These poems are excerpts from a collection entitled: The Free Stage. Enjoy. WRDJ




“ a comforting thought ”

a vision…of
trees on top of houses
families living in abandoned flags
old faded symbols – meaningless
rising suns setting on blue fields filled with stars
with no electricity – everything closed down
somehow I knew that somewhere in the swamp
there’s a guy with piercing blue eyes –
roaming free in his loin cloth --
hunting with a spear –
and that’s comforting.



“ muse ”

I met the devil last night
he’s a she but no less a sight
this is a fight I hope to lose
lying broken and bloodied at her feet
she feeds my creativity – the last muse
she found the vein – my main line
the key that set the demons free
the last one leaving locked the door behind –
keeping the bastards in –
as they burst out of my chest
feeding off the over laid testosterone
the demons set my find free –
as free as it could be
half shut down –
to help me think of something
other then you.





“ sea ”

the slack went out
right in open sight
the sails drew tight
allowing me to say I sea.






“ wave ”

alone walking down the rainbow
my footsteps send sound into past tense
as I slide right by
arm above shoulder hand extended
wave
as I catch myself back up
I’m in and out –
out of reasons anyway.





“ here’s to extinction ”

by himself he’s standing
inside the belly of the monster –
chewing on his coffee stirrer.






“ road signs ”

drive
driven on
skawl
rane
nasta
bop.





“ over tow ”

play with the knob
tune it in until you hear yourself
singing in the background

sorry lady I’m all out
I’ve no need for anything you’ve got
disagreeing sarcastically
in a pathetically romantic kind of way
a hell of a sexy buzz
I’m trying to say thank-you
for an ungranted favor.





“ monk ”

a beat man
gone professional
even I stomp my foot
following his original tunes
songs full of everything –
it takes to make life
murdered in a famous birds bedroom
roving bathtub slayer
bad bad luck.






“ so close ”

the window was closing
the clock is counting down
but to what?
how will this day end –
so close and losing ground




“ dreaming in color ”

ken
ken
ken
et
ken
et
et
ken
et
et
tick
down on guarded knee
vibrations
hot flashes
seeking
ken
ken
et
ken
et
et
tick
up and running
magic
mystery
seeking
for that certain energy.

By: Cody Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment