Friday, March 21, 2014

REVIEW: Sovereign #1

Writer: Chris Roberson
Artist: Paul Maybury
Color: Paul Maybury and Jordon Gibson
Letterer:  John J. Hill
Review: Cody "Madman" Miller

I have been on the fence about this book since I finished reading it.  I’m a fan of the fantasy genre as a whole, so there is no problem there.  This book just felt off balance.  I don’t know if that even makes sense, but I’m 99% sure I absolutely didn't like the artwork at all.  Not even a tiny little bit.  The pencils were weak and maybe in an effort to make up for this weakness, the inks decided to take over each and every page pretty much.  

Major turn off.  The characters were all just bland and didn't jump out at you.  Major turn off.  That’s nowhere near the worst of it.  It is the coloring that makes me want too, as the HCB’s founder and feature writer Mr. Davis Jr. once said about some bullshit Scott Snyder tried to pass off as a comic book (paraphrasing), “I’d like to buy a case of the shittiest beer I can find and piss all over it.”  The art was so bad, it was distracting.  I read this as fast as I could just so I could not be looking at it anymore.


            
That’s when I discovered I really didn't like the writing either.  It’s one of those books I hate where the book is divided into thirds and each third has its own characters, own story, and in this case, own misery.  A day later I can barely remember what the hell it’s about and I’m fairly certain I’m never touching this one ever again.  I don’t think I've disliked a book this mush since Death Moth.  I don’t care what anyone says, Image went wrong here...way wrong.  As long as they keep printing Saga, Manifest Destiny, and Rat Queens, I’m willing to forgive and forget this one.  Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go wash my eye holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment