Friday, March 18, 2016

REVIEW: Batman/ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1

Creators:  Batman: Bob Kane w/ Bill Finger
                  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird 
Story: James Tynion IV
Art and Cover: Freddie E Williams II
Colors: Jeremy Colwell
Review: Daniel Simpson

I have been a fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles since I was eight years old but I have just in the last few years begun to appreciate Batman. I've always enjoyed his rogue gallery and all its complexities but I never enjoyed the character as a whole. Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, published by both DC comics and IDW publishing, is the first of a six part story arc that has the Dark Knight meeting the totally awesome foursome from New York.
I opted to give it a shot.

The story starts out with ninjas surrounding scientists. Already you know what that means...the boys in green flash in and take out the ninjas. Little do you realize that this isn't the actual beginning of the story. Oh, no, it’s just the teaser page and everything that has happened up ‘til now is just one of the scientists recounting the event to none other than Batman himself. The story itself is as you would expect for an intro: slow going and doesn't really address why or how the lean green teens ended up in Gotham City. It does, however, introduce Killer Croc as one of what I'm sure will be many Batman villain cameos.
It's a very interesting mix of both comics’ styles, being both light and dark with the colors somewhat muted. The fight scenes (‘cause lets be honest that's what this comic is all about) are in general either very short, as in the scene where Shredder confronts the Bat, or rather anti-climatic, as in the fight between the Turtles and Killer Croc. The artwork as a whole is very good, although I question the Batmobile redesign.

I would hope in the following issues they address how the universes combined or crossed over or however it works out for them, but I think James Tynion IV has a very interesting story here. If it progresses the way it began to flow then this will be, in my humble opinion, one the better story arcs I've read in awhile.

As many crossovers are usually a two comic deal, and writers have to cram everything into two books, I believe that with a six book story arc this will definitely become an awesome story. The story is lacking some of the humor you would except from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but it does have its moments. I mean, come on, you can’t have wisecracking teenage mutants without a few jokes here and there and even with Batman you can’t be totally non-humorous. All in all it’s a good book as number ones go and there are so many places it can go. Hopefully it goes to those places and we, the readers, get an awesome graphic novel out of the deal. Honestly though, this is just my take on it as a fan of comics and of both of these character sets and I am very pleased that it doesn't pander to one audience or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment