Friday, September 25, 2015

REVIEW: Dr1ve #1

Writer: Michael Benedetto
Pencils: Antonio Fuso
Inks: Emilio Lecce
Colors: Jason Lewis
Review: Cody "Madman" Miller

I don’t know why, but the first thing I thought of when I saw this cover was Miami Vice. The purple city skyline and lettering like a neon sign . . .
Don’t get me wrong here; I was by no means excited by this. I could give two shits about Don Johnson and his television program.

My second observation was that the guy looking through the review mirror has a strong resemblance to Bryan Cranston’s character Walter White at first glance. Thinking this made me think of John Goodman’s character Walter Sobchak in The Big Lebowski and that made me smile.

Calmer then you are.
As it turns out it really annoys my wife when I keep calling her Donny. After asking her a couple hundred times if I was the only one who cared about the rules, I eventually came down from my Lebowski flashback.
Good night, sweet prince . . . I eventually read the comic.

To be honest my brain was releasing those feel good juices brought on by aforementioned flashback, and it's Lebowski so this book could have sucked horribly, and I would’ve been fine with that . . . calmer then you are.
I too dabbled in pacifism once. I was so happy that my Miami Viceish first impression was way off the mark. I actually really enjoyed this first issue of the four banger. So much so that I immediately introduced it to my pull list, and I know they’re going to be the best of friends. Mark it zero!

The book is all about a getaway driver, “the” getaway driver, whom shall ever remain nameless apparently. Not one time was he given a name throughout the first issue. I don’t find that a big deal or any such thing, in fact I find it rather sexy (in the modern over usage sense of the word. Strictly nonsexual). I like the mysterious drifter spiel as much as the next guy. The main character, Driver Guy, is a pretty cool cat. He’s a Hollywood stunt driver with an affinity toward driving the getaway car for men of ill repute.

You might already be privy to the story, either from the movie or the novel by James Sallis, all with the title of Dr1ve or maybe just plain Drive. I’m not really sure as I’ve never seen the movie or read the book. I just now learned they existed. I think there may possibly be a video game as well. I’m not sure on that one either as I don’t play video games. Life does not start and stop at your convenience, you miserable piece of #@*%.

The art is pure gratuitous eye candy of the sweetest nectar. The details of Fuso’s pencils and Lewis’s masterful use of color are where it’s at. Every page of Dr1ve is a thing of beauty. All in all a fantastic comic, be it a regurgitated story or not.

Way out of your element here, Donny.

No comments:

Post a Comment